Spicy Cajun Lentil Cakes
A quick and easy go-to when you need a satisfying lunch or dinner made STAT. Can play with a mix of ingredients, spices or flours. The only requirement is that you can't be afraid to get your hands dirty!
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 medium onion, finely diced into very small pieces
- 1 red bell peppers, finely diced into very small pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced into very small pieces
- 4 Tbsps psyllium husks or ground flaxseed
- 4 Tbsps nutritional yeast
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- ¼c parsley, chopped
- 2 tsps paprika
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- himalayan pink salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, for frying
- Add measured out lentils into a small pot and cover with 1½c water.
- Put on high heat, and bring to a boil.
- Once you bring the lentils to a boil, lower to medium heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- While lentils are cooking, finely dice the onions and peppers.
- After cooking the lentils for 15mins, remove from heat and immediately strain the excess water.
- Be sure to strain the lentils well! Once strained put them into a large bowl and start mashing.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients to the boil, except for the coconut oil.
- Mix all the ingredients together until you're left with a sticky, combinable texture. If the mixture doesn't shape well, you can always add more flour, or let it set in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- Once you've shaped the patties, add the coconut oil to a non-stick pan and let it fry for about 2 minutes per side.
Serve on top of a bed of arugula, with freshly squeezed lemon. Can also add into collard greens, and eaten as a wrap! 🙂 Enjoy! X
HAVE A PLANT-BASED RECIPE TO SHARE?
SEND IT IN HERE FOR A CHANCE TO BE FEATURED ON THE BLOG!